Wednesday 15 May 2013

Inside our Earth

Completed earth
Last week we learned about the layers inside our earth.

We then used plastercine to make a replica earth, using 4 different colours.
We knew the mantle was the largest layer, so we had to design our earth to try accurately show the 4 different layers.

How accurate do you think they were?

Once we cut them open we could see the 4 layers
What facts do you know about the different layers?

What other interesting facts have you found out about our earth?

7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed making the plastercine earths!
    I now know heaps about the different layers and continents!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy and mine turned out quite well. We had all the layers there and they were mostly the right size, but we could have made the mantle a bit bigger.
    I love this topic it is so fun, learning about all the different stuff that the earth is made out of.

    My interesting facts:

    That the earth moves 2-3centermetres each year.
    That the earth isn't actually a perfect sphere.

    Hayley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Hayley. I find the fact that the earth will be destroyed someday in the future a bit saddening. I also wonder how scientists know this because it is over one thousand years away.
      Derek

      Delete
    2. That is a very good point Derek, I think we have to remember that this is just one person's theory! I am so happy to see the interest and questions this topic is generating, you guys ROCK!!! Miss B

      Delete
  3. I found out that 99% of the earths gold lies in the earths core!!!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it was cool doing the plastercine earths as it was different and tested what we knew! Great idea!

    Jordana

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are creative!!
    Xavier

    ReplyDelete